THIS PROGRAM HAS A DIFFERENT PRE-DEPARTURE PROCESS WITH VERY DIFFERENT DATES FROM OTHER PROGRAMS DUE TO ACADEMIC YEAR DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE USA AND ITALY.
Purple = Financial Aid
Orange = Italian Student Visa
Blue = UNIMORE Registration
Yellow = Housing
Black = Other
Dream On by Aerosmith
Spring Semester 2018 @ University of Massachusetts – Lowell
- Monday, January 22, 2018 – 1st Day of Spring Classes
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 – Logged in to the UMASS Study Abroad Network , Selected my desired program at UNIMORE and clicked “Apply Now“. Began working on submitting the documents necessary for the first portion of the application.
- Friday, February 23, 2018 – My Exchange Nomination was sent to the Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali of UNIMORE by Emily Zeitsev from UMass Lowell’s Office of International Experiences & Study Abroad
This contains some personal information including your Last name, First name, Sex, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Nationality, Field of Study, Semester of Study Abroad, and lastly your student E-mail. (It’s mostly just a notice of intent to study abroad.)
- Thursday, March 15, 2018 – Sent and received e-mails (through Giulia Po DeLisle) from UNIMORE about information of courses I may potentially need to take and about some courses in Reggio Emilia, as opposed to in Modena.
- Friday, March 30, 2018 – Received notification that I needed to meet with the Study Abroad Financial Aid Assistant Director, Tonya Brito
- Monday, April 2, 2018 – Fall UML Advising Begins ( Meet with Giulia Po DeLisle in this month to look over and get an idea of potential courses you can take abroad and to assess your individual academic needs.)
- Monday, April 23, 2018 – Received information from the Italian Consulate in Boston saying that If I am applying for a FULL YEAR study visa, then I do not need proof of a return flight.
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018 – Received UNIMORE Invitation Visa letter from Giulia Po DeLisle.
- Wednesday, April 25, 2018 – UMass Lowell Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation
- Thursday, April 26, 2018 – Sent Tonya Brito a copy of the UNIMORE Invitation Visa letter.
- Saturday, May 12, 2018 – Last Day of UMass Lowell Spring Final Exams
- Monday, May 21, 2018 – Met with Emily Zeitsev to help me set up a Visa appointment online with the Italian Consulate in Boston.
- Tuesday, May 22, 2018 – Register and Submit the UNIMORE application and required documents to the ISU Services website. ( If you have difficulty uploading any documents, you can e-mail the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Tuesday, June 5, 2018 – Bought a one-way flight to Bologna, Italy
- Wednesday, June 6, 2018 – Joined UNIMORE International Welcome Desk Facebook group (link provided to you in an e-mail around this date)
- Friday, June 8, 2018 – Sent Emily Zeitsev a Preliminary list of courses I want to take for the Fall 2018 semester and the course descriptions so that they could get approval from the right departments.
- Friday, June 15, 2018 – Deadline to register and complete the UNIMORE application and submit required documents to the ISU Services website. ( If you have difficulty uploading any documents, you can e-mail the document to email@example.com )
- Monday, June 25, 2018 – Received UML Visa Letter
- Thursday, June 28, 2018 – Submitted UNIMORE Learning Agreement form
- July 2 – July 26, 2018 – Sent copies of all my paperwork and documents for review by Emily Zeitsev, Fern MacKinnon, and Giulia Po DeLisle in preparation for my Visa Appointment.
- Monday, July 2, 2018 – Began searching for a room in a shared apartment near the university campus that I will be frequenting [Off-Campus Housing]. Housing is NOT provided by UNIMORE for Erasmus or Overseas students. Housing must be financed by the student (Financial Aid may or may not help cover expenses as it depends on your financial aid eligibility).
Some websites I used to search were:
NOTE: Please be cautious of SCAMMERS on all of these recommendations and any other locations that you may look for housing. If you are unsure about anything, reach out to Giulia or Emily for guidance.
DO NOT PAY ANYONE BEFORE RECEIVING A VERIFIED CONTRACT FIRST.
- Thursday, July 5, 2018 – Sent Tonya Brito an e-mail requesting the status of my Financial Aid Package due to the need of that information for my Study Abroad Visa appointment.
- Monday, July 16, 2018 – Received Study Abroad Program Packet
NOTE: For the UNIMORE Program you ONLY need to submit the POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR STUDENTS STUDYING ABROAD(Pg. 3) [notarized at any bank or AAA]. You can drop off the form in person at the Solution center to be delivered to Tonya Brito.
MAKE SURE YOU GET A COPY AND PHOTO OF THE FORM, THE FULL NAME OF THE PERSON YOU GAVE IT TO AT THE SOLUTION CENTER, THE TIME, AND THE DATE IN CASE IT GETS “LOST”.
You should complete the cost sheet yourself just to get an idea of your overall budget. (Click Here for a short list of Living Expenses). All Tuition and Fees for this program are paid directly to UMASS LOWELL as any regular school year.
- Thursday, July 19, 2018 – Received Financial Aid Award on SIS
- Monday, July 23, 2018 – Received the contract for a room in a shared apartment.
- Thursday July 26, 2018 – Requested an Enrollment Verification letter from the Solution Center.
- Friday, July 27, 2018 – Study Abroad Visa appointment at the Italian Consulate in Boston
- Tuesday, July 30, 2018 – Transferred 1st payment to reserve the room until my arrival.
- Wednesday, August 1, 2018 – E-mailed Tonya Brito my flight itinerary.
- Wednesday, August 8, 2018 – E-mailed Emily Zeitsev the address of the apartment I will be residing in during my time abroad.
- Friday, August 10, 2018 – Picked up Passport from the Italian Consulate with Student Visa Inside!
- Monday, August 13, 2018 – Joined the Erasmus Student Network (ESN Modena) on Facebook
- Friday, September 7, 2018 – Met with Giulia to make arrival plans.
- Saturday, September 8, 2018 – E-mailed Landlady about arrival plans
- Monday, September 17, 2018 – Depart for Italy! Arrivederci!