Meet Vilma Okey- Ewurum

Vilma is an international student. She’s a junior, Public Health major. She was an orientation leader for two years and now is an orientation coordinator. I asked her a few questions about orientation!

Q:How did you hear about applying to be an orientation leader?

A: I was walking in my residence hall and I saw a poster of Chris Jackson’s face. I thought this job looked fun and as an international student you cannot work anywhere other than on campus so it worked out!

Q: Were your nervous about being an orientation leader? If so, why?

A: I was nervous because pre-orientation I was relatively quiet and took a lot of time to warm up to people. I was very nervous about going up to people and talking to people I was unfamiliar with all day.

Q: What was your favorite part about being an orientation leader?

A: My favorite part was getting to meet new people. Bonding with staff and then bonding with students allowed me to make personal connections.

Q: What was a challenging thing about being an orientation leader?

A: Keeping my energy up throughout the day and as we got into later sessions.

Q: How does being an orientation coordinator differ from being an orientation leader? 

A: Its a lot more behind the scenes work, more planning and the biggest difference is that I don’t get students anymore.

Q: What are you looking forward to this summer?

A: I am looking forward to seeing the orientation program through a different perspective. My first year was different than my second year since i was a returner and now being orientation coordinator, i will see it in an even different perspective.

Q: Are you nervous about anything for this upcoming Summer?

A: I have more responsibility now and I really want to do a good job.