*This email was sent to the Parent & Family email distribution list on 8.20.2021.*
Greetings River Hawk Families!
We hope this email finds you well! Welcome to the first of our regular “River Hawk Family Updates” for the academic year. Family Programs will be sending an email to parents and families every other Friday with university updates and information. We hope this information is helpful to you and your student as you navigate the beginning of the semester.
Opportunities & Information for Parents & Families:
- If you’d like to send your student an encouraging message for the start of the year, check out our “Letters from Home” program found on the Family Programs website. Submit your message online, and we’ll make sure it’s delivered to your student the third week of classes.
- Check out the newest edition of News to the Nest, UML Family Program’s blog. Our newest entry highlights important things parents and families need to know about student privacy and what the university is, and isn’t, able to share with parents and families.
- Save the Date for UMass Lowell’s Homecoming & Family Weekend, October 15-17! We hope to see you at one of the events!
- Move-In Weekend for residential students is August 28 & 29. For more information on the move-in process, check out Residence Life’s Move-In page. This page contains information on when to arrive, directions, and a list of suggested items to bring (and not bring) for your student’s room. If you have questions about move-in, please feel free to contact Residence Life at 978-934-5160 or ResLife@uml.edu.
Opportunities & Information for your Student:
- UMass Lowell will host a mobile COVID-19 vaccination clinic for students and employees in the Salem Street Lot next to University Crossing from 11am to 3pm on Thursday, August 26. More information can be found by viewing the UMass Lowell Announcement. As a reminder, vaccinated students should upload their vaccination card and associated information to the Student Health Services Patient Portal.
- There are many programs planned for Opening Week that your student can be a part of! Your student can view all of the events on the Opening Week Calendar!
- Convocation is the formal welcome for all students entering the UMass Lowell academic community. This year we will be welcoming first year and sophomore year students on Tuesday, August 31st at 11am at the Tsongas Center.
- Immediately following Convocation is the annual Engagement Fair and BBQ, where your student can meet representatives from the many clubs that UMass Lowell offers. The Engagement Fair is on Tuesday, August 31st from 12pm to 2pm on the Rec Center fields (east campus).
Upcoming Important Dates:
- September 1: Fall classes begin
- September 6: Labor Day, University Closed
- September 15: Last day to add a course or drop a course without record (if your student has any questions about this, they can contact their advisor or email email@example.com).
If we can help track down any information or answer any questions, please let us know. We wish everyone a safe and happy start of the academic year.