Greetings River Hawk Families,
We are happy to send you the latest Family Update Email! We hope that this information is helpful to you and your family as your student progresses through the spring semester.
Information for Parents & Families:
- FAFSA Priority Filing Deadline: Students must reapply for financial aid each year by completing the FAFSA online. UMass Lowell’s priority filing deadline is March 1. You can view additional information by visiting the Solution Center’s Maintaining Financial Aid Eligibility website.
- Housing Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are now available on the Online Housing Portal. If your student wants to participate in Room Selection for next year, they should submit their housing application by March 31, 2022. There are also some new updates for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- There is a new “Unlimited 400” plan with additional River Hawk Dollars that any student can upgrade to. Check out the 2022-2023 Meal Plan Options.
- Rooms that had reduced occupancy for COVID-19 concerns will go back to their normal/original occupancy (rooms in Leitch, Bourgeois, Fox, and Concordia).
- Brand new machines will be installed in the common laundry rooms this summer and laundry will be included in the price of housing. No more quarters or debit/credit card needed!
- Healthy Minds Survey: On Monday, February 7th your student received an email inviting them to complete a survey called the Healthy Minds Study (HMS). This survey provides a detailed look at the prevalence of mental health outcomes, knowledge, and attitudes about mental health and service utilization. This survey provides important data about what our students are experiencing. We would appreciate any help in encouraging your student to complete the survey.
Information for Students:
- Social Justice Week: UMass Lowell’s Social Justice Week occurs February 14 to February 18. There are a variety of events, programs, and opportunities for students. Students can view all of the Social Just Week events on the Office of Multicultural Affair’s Social Justice Week website.
- Ask a Librarian: UMass Lowell University Library has come out with a new service to assist students call “Ask a Librarian.” This is a new live chat feature where your student can chat directly with a UML librarian form anywhere, on or off campus. This is a great resource to help students with any research needs. Students can just look for the “Questions? Ask Us!” red tab on the upper right side of every Library webpage.
- Career Services & Cooperative Education Events: The Career & Co-op Center has a variety of upcoming events, programs, workshops and career fairs designed to help your student in their search for internships, co-ops, and employment. Students can find information about upcoming events by visiting the Career & Co-op Center website
February 21: President’s Day, university closed
February 22: Monday class schedule
March 1: FAFSA priority filing deadline
March 6: Spring Recess begins
March 14: Classes resume
March 25: Fall 2022 schedule of classes will be viewable in SIS
March 31: On-campus housing applications due if students want to participate in the room selection process
April 4: Enrollment for fall 2022 courses begin
Thank you, and have a safe and happy weekend!
Marshall Greenleaf, Family Programs
Office of Student & Family Support Services