Black History Month!

Hello friends and happy Friday! I hope the snow-pacolypse has given you a chance to get ready for the semester and finish binge watching anything you had not finished on Netflix. Your GPA will thank you later! We are officially in February which means two things: Couples beware, Valentines day is around the corner and it is Black History Month!

Black History Month, or National African History Month is an annual event celebrating and recognizing African Americans in U.S History. It is an extremely important movement in our culture and was an initial step in the acceptance of people of color into society as full citizens.

It was initially “Negro History Week”, an event sponsored by the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History (ASNLH). The founders Carter G. Woodson and Jesse E. Moorland, A Harvard trained historian and a prominent Minister respectively, chose the second week of February to coincide with the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Though initially shunned by many the event grew to a full month celebration on many college campuses and was recognized officially by president gerald R. Ford in 1976. Since then it has been recognized by every U.S President, each giving it a specific theme. This years theme is :
A century of Black Life, History, and Culture 

As a person of color and a first generation American I am comforted and encouraged by the growth of acceptance and love and the downfall of ignorance. The fact that this country chooses to educate people about its controversial history makes me feel as if I have the same chances of success as any other person as long as I work hard.

I hope all of you have an amazing weekend and enjoy Black History Month!

-Migs