Giving back to the community

Giving back to the community will not only sooth your soul, give you good karma, help others greatly, BUT it is also an excellent experience to put on your resumes! As college students you should know how difficult the economy is out there and you need things on your resume that makes you stand out from other college students. Take it from me, I’ve been volunteering in different places since my early high school years, it has done wonders for my growth, career and soul! If you don’t think volunteering is the thing for you, its OK, there are other ways you can give! Isn’t it great?
15 ways to give back
Donate unused clothing to Salvation Army
We all have clothes that we haven’t worn in months, maybe even years. Why not give them to people who need them? Or even to people who would wear them every single day?
Volunteer at a local soup kitchen
Working at a soup kitchen will teach you so much about how to appreciate the life that you love and everything in it. When you see people who are just happy to have a full stomach, you’ll want to volunteer again to help those people in need. It can be pretty life changing…
Write letters to soldiers overseas
There are men and women who protect this country. They deserve the very best from all of us. Write a letter to someone anonymously. I guarantee that it’ll make their day. They’ll appreciate their job that much more. (I Think I’ll even try this!)
Donate money to local charities
Don’t have any time to volunteer, but still want to help? No problem, just give a little bit of money to a great cause that you think deserves it. Are not well off economically? That’s fine. Any little bit helps!
Go back to your old high school and volunteer
You’ll be able to see your old teachers and help in the classrooms that you once sat it. Those children will look up to you in ways that you can’t imagine. Plus, we all know that high school can be tough. Why not help them get through it? Just share your experiences, what worked, what didn’t, help them have an easier growing up process!
Become a mentor for a young boy or girl
Becoming a big brother or sister for someone who can’t biologically have one is such a great experience for everyone. You’re giving that young one a chance to have someone to look up. That’s a gift in itself. Even if they do have a biological brother or sister, they might not be able or willing to help their sibling, that’s where you come in! Who knows you may change the whole family’s life! Wicked! =)
Buy from your local farmer’s market
Support local farmers and crop growers. Take a visit to your farmer’s market and buy the goods that are locally grown and produced.
Leave a waitress at a local restaurant a huge tip
Most waitresses’ work longs days just to make ends meet. Tips are one of the only ways that they can do that, so leave them a larger tip than normal and a smile. They’ll appreciate it more than you can imagine. Try it even if the waitress wasn’t as pleasant, she could have just been having a pretty lousy day.
Give blood
There is alwaysa need for blood so this one is a no-brainer. One trip to giving blood can lead to you saving 3 lives and/or 9 babies. I have wanted to do this, but tattoos and piercings get in the way =/ don’t let your fear of needles stop you! It’s just a pinch!
Pay the tab for the person in front of you in line when grocery shopping
I’ve heard stories of this happening to people, and each time, they’ve always had a big smile on their face. Do that for someone.
Work on a local political campaign for free
If you’re into politics, this is a great way to get the experience you may need for your future.
Volunteer your time to plant trees
The world needs more trees. Be kind to the environment and plant a few trees. Spring is coming! Make your community pretty. 
Work for a non-profit organization for free
This could also be considered having an internship that is non-paid. It’s a great experience; it’ll teach you the value of a dollar. Definitely taught me! Non-profit organizations have been a LARGE part of my life and I LOVE IT! (Look into the Boston Project Ministries)
Buy your co-workers lunch one day
This is a simple act of kindness that can put a smile on your co-workers faces. I know it will put an even bigger one on me, I love unselfishness! Or even bring some cookies in, any gesture would be amazing!
Do something you’re good at for someone that’s in need
Help someone; take photographs for someone for free if you’re a photographer. Get practice with what you’re good at. In my case, I like helping people make schedules for classes! They hate it, I love it, works out for the both us. 
-Giselle