Getting to know James

Yup. Pretty much. So my name is James Ham and I am a junior here at UML. My major is Music education, so basically one day I want to be a music teacher! Right now my life pretty much revolves around music, but we will get to that in a little bit! So I am an Orientation leader during the summer, and during the school year I am an Ambassador for UML (obviously you already know that).

SO MUSIC YEAH. I would say that it’s a bit cliche to go on and talk about how I pretty much breathe music at this point, but it really is true! I take an absurd amount of classes (11 this semester, 14 last), which also means a stupid amount of credits as well. Since most of these classes are music classes, I live in the music building (Durgin Hall). I go in at around 9am every morning and I’m in and out (mostly in) until 9-11 at night. I have also fallen asleep in one of the practice rooms and woke up very confused around 3am, but that is a story for another time.

When I first got here to UML, I was in my second semester of my freshman year. I transferred here from Middlesex Community College. Not something I’m exactly proud of coming from, but it makes for a great inspirational story. Basically my grades were not the best in High School. I wasn’t exactly the greatest student you have ever seen, so MCC was my only choice for college. I was in a program called the “connections program” at MCC and they told me that if my grades were good and I could get above a 2.5, they would transfer me over in a year. I went above and beyond and got a 3.7, so they decided to transfer me over in a semester instead of a year. I have been to UML ever since and I absolutely LOVE it here!

So during my first semester here at UML, I was appalled at the fact that there was no acapella group here. Pretty much EVERY college has an acapella group, it’s just one of those things! So I decided to make the very first acapella group (from what I gather) to ever be established and continue to be established at this college. So acapella music is pretty much my jam. It is my favorite style of music, I think that it is one of the most clever things ever created. Taking instruments out of the equation completely and just singing guitar parts instead? BRILLIANT. The best part is that everyone can do it. If you think you cant, talk to me sometime. You can. Now sounding really good, that is a whole new ball game.. but the main point is to be having FUN.

JAMES’ FAVORITE LISTS OF FAVORITE THINGS
Favorite quote: “This is a pie chart describing my favorite bars. And this is a bar graph describing my favorite pies.”
Favorite Food: Chicken Parm Sub
Favorite Band: TIE between the Beatles and the Barenaked Ladies
Favorite Movie: Mr. Holland’s Opus
Favorite Animal: PENGUINS
Favorite Meal: Lunch
Favorite T.V Show: SCRUBS (I’m obsessed)
Favorite Game console: N64
Favorite Childhood Game: Mouse Trap
Favorite Childhood Movie: THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER
Favorite Snack: Goldfish
Favorite Sport to play: Tennis

Well there you have it… who I am in a few paragraphs! Have a great long weekend!

~James (Gotta get down on friday)