The Value of Reflection

By: Julia Yeadon, College of Fine Arts Humanities and Social Sciences Well-being Leader

As I write my final blog post in my beloved position as a Well-being Leader, I have begun to think of all of the opportunities and experiences that have led me to this point. In just one month, I will complete my chapter as a student and Well-being Leader at UMass Lowell. Thinking of leaving this school and this position brings me great sadness, however, I have chosen to shift my focus toward what I am fortunate enough to bring with me into my next chapter. 

I have seen so much growth in myself throughout this past year, and I owe most of this to my position as a Well-being Leader. Through this position, my passion for helping others has grown immensely. I am in awe of the small effort it takes to make a big difference in those around us. In just a 30-minute meeting during my office hours, I held the power to positively change someone’s life. The first student I ever met with in my office hours came back to tell me how much of a difference my suggestions had made in her life. I was filled with such happiness and contentment. From then, I knew that wherever life leads me, I want to continue to make this kind of an impact. 

I have always been the kind of person that has the next five years of my life meticulously planned out. This year, I learned to live in the moment and allow life’s opportunities to lead me onto my next journey. I started this school year beginning my bachelor’s-to-master’s program in Applied Behavior Analysis. However, I end this school year preparing to attend Bridgewater State University to earn my M.Ed. in School Counseling – a career that perfectly aligns with the values of being a Well-being Leader. 

To my fellow seniors, I encourage you to reflect. Reflect on the hardships you have endured during your time in college, and how you have strived to overcome such challenges. Reflect on what you have learned, both inside and outside of the classroom. Reflect on the people you have met, who have contributed to your personal and academic growth over the past four years. Finally, reflect on your own growth. Take pride in the diligence and effort you have committed during your time at UMass Lowell that has led you to the person you are today.

Many of you may think – what now? Whether you are continuing your education, starting a new job, or taking some time off before engaging in your next journey, take a moment to celebrate this accomplishment. As of 2022, only 37.7% of individuals ages 25 and older hold a bachelor’s degree or higher. Be proud that you are moments away from being part of this small percentage.

I am grateful beyond words for the impact the Well-being Leader program has had on my life. To my fellow Well-being Leaders, thank you for being the perfect role models by demonstrating the power we hold to make a difference in the lives of others. To Hannah, thank you for being the most inspiring mentor and encouraging me to follow my dreams. Finally, to the students I have met throughout this year during my office hours, I wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors and hope that my efforts to help you have led to a ripple effect. Imagine how beautiful this world could be if we all act on this same passion of helping others.

References:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2023/educational-attainment-data.html