Lowell Youth Instrument Drive

Hello and happy hump day! This year feels like it has a lot of promise and I hope you feel the same way.
     As some of you may know I am a senior in the Music Business program here at our beloved school. But I do not only practice in the business sector of the industry I am also highly involved in Music Education. I have my own private studio of students as well as teaching marching band at the high school level. Because of this I wanted to talk about an event happening on campus that is near and dear to me and to anyone that is involved in the wonderful world of music.

The UMass Lowell Collegiate Chapter of the National Association of Music Education (NAFME) is partnering up with The Party Band (A 20 piece community brass band based in Lowell) to facilitate an Instrument Drive! The instruments collected will go to students who need them in the public school system as well as the local Boys and Girls Club. These facilities do not have enough instruments to give all of their students a quality musical education.

The instruments collected that are not in the best shape will be repaired by our very own Blair Bettencourt, A professor in the Music Department. Professor Bettencourt will be running an instrument repair clinic for students in the Music Studies programs so that when they get into their respective classrooms they will be proficient in instrument repair themselves. Literally Everyone Wins!!

The first two drop of dates are Today the 17th of September in front of Fox hall on East/Durgin Hall on South and tomorrow the 18th in front of Durgin hall, both days from 12-5 PM. The instruments that are being collected are your average band instruments (winds, percussion etc.) guitars, electric basses and drums. The only items they are not being accepted are amps and effect pedals.

You can seriously make a difference in a kids life through getting rid of your old trumpet that is collecting dust in your attic. I was a benefactor of an instrument drive when I was a budding musician  in the fourth grade and now it is my career, hobby and life. Make a difference whenever you have the opportunity and I think you will be satisfied with the result.

Just some food for thought!

-Migs