Reflection Paper

Hello, sorry if this may be a tad late, but I also have here attached a reflection essay on the Crack Festival and my overall experience at my first art sharing event. Well, here goes nothing…

During my stay in Italy, we visited the city of Rome, the country’s capital. For about six days, we walked through the city and had entered various art museums and visited magnificent monuments. For the first three days, in between museum visits, we went to an event known as the Crack Festival. It was a public art sharing forum which granted artists in the Roma area an opportunity to come to a site known as Forte Prenestino to expose and sell their art pieces. There were some very creative methods of making art shown in the festival, such as clothes graphics, comic books, videos, paintings, and drawings.

While I was there, I decided to buy a print of a fox lying in a mountain valley with a little girl playing a flute. They are sitting in a valley, late at night, with the moon lighting up the sky, as well as all the trees and mountains in the distance. I really admired this piece of artwork and decided to buy a copy for my girlfriend. The name of the artist that made this is Marina Girardi. Her works consist mainly of darkness, nature, and animals, and are very comical and cartoony. I liked her works if only for the fact that they were some of the only jovial pieces of art that I could find in the gallery.

My personal opinion about Crack Festival as a whole is that it did not feel entirely welcoming to absolutely everyone. There seemed to be a very specific target audience for Crack, which included people that have very dark outlooks of the world, and people that are comfortable with looking at very graphic images of the human body, narrowing the audience down even further. This was the first art festival that I have ever been to, so I do not know entirely what a typical one would be like, but this one feels like it should have been a touch more welcoming than it was. One example that I have is the presence of multiple smokers and drinkers in the festival, and I am completely aware of how lenient the laws of drinking and smoking are in Italy. It only negatively influences the younger audience that may want to pursue a degree in Fine Arts though, as smoking is not something that everyone likes to be encouraged to take on in life. Also, the overall setting of the building was very desolate, and did not look too clean or organized at all, though not much better could be expected from an underground festival.

Overall, it was a lot of fun being given an opportunity to explore figures in the modern Italian art world and their works, and the material that I saw has some great potential to attain some greater exposure as artists. I love to use other artists’ works as reference points to my art that I have done in the past and use them as fuel to further strengthen my personal artistic style, and I have very similar thoughts during on-campus art critiques. The main gripe that I have with this particular festival is the fact that not every piece of art that met my eyes was pleasant, and in most cases were very disturbing for me to look at, just knowing what they are supposed to represent. I had been in a dark place for about three and a half years, until recently when 2017 started. I have just been trying to get away from dark views of the world ever since, and about ninety-five percent of the artwork I saw fell under that genre for me. I like to look at happier, encouraging, more pleasant artwork that delivers a positive message to everyone and is very fun to look at. When we went with our study abroad group, I felt like we were very distinct and unique from the remainder of the festival, and I liked that, since we were American tourists, looking for a great opportunity to expose and possibly sell our own artwork, and it was fun, especially when all of the work that we presented was awesome and enjoyable to look at.

Like I said earlier, this is the first art festival that I have been to, and did not know entirely what to expect from it. I have been to other comical festivals such as PAX East and Comic Con, but this was a first in the category of my career that I am pursuing. I am very happy to put this on my resume, as I could use this for jobs to see that I went to an art and graphic design related event, and the experience that I got from this was invaluable despite the dark atmosphere. I did, at least, stumble across Marina Girardi and her plethora of art, and she is a magnificent nature artist that I will continue to look to for new ideas in my art portfolio, and possibly reference in my Senior Studio classes once I take those.

The previous presence of other Italian artists such as Botticelli, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Raphael, and Titian inspire us as artists to make new pieces today, ones that match our emotion, style, and current events that take place. It is a joyous thing to see art still be created, and going long and strong, and I may be amazed to find out what the future holds to the artistic world as a whole. While there are other great art contained countries like France, Switzerland, and Greece, Italy is what I consider to be the heart of all creative arts, even to this day. The classic Renaissance artistic style cannot be recreated entirely, and while there are countless homages to these Italian greats, no one will ever exceed the original paint strokes. I will continue to go to other art conventions in the future, as it will help shape my mind for things to come in the future. While Crack did not present much absolutely amazing to me personally, I love the concept of showing and selling one’s own work, exposure of artwork to the public, and building a strong reputation and track record. That track record could be worth a fortune down the road.