Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign…

Well, today’s the day… after months of anticipation and careful planning, in just a few hours I will be boarding a plane with 15 other UMass Lowell students and faculty headed to Hubli, India, described to me by a co-worker as “a small city in India of only about 1.5 million people”. Riiiight… Needless to say, I’m very excited to partake in this unique experience, working alongside fellow students from both India and China in a program that is part academic, part service-learning, and completely cultural immersive.

At an orientation dinner a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to meet my classmates, as well as former participants of the program. The cuisine was delectable, the conversation was, well… very informative. True, I have been very excited for this program, but prior to this event, I was admittedly very anxious. I have never visited an Asian community, much less one of rich culture and traditions. Will I be accepted as a fellow student in pursuit of academic advancement, or will I stick out as the typical American tourist? Will I quickly grasp the societal norms that await, or will I say or do something that may be interpreted as offensive. The group spent about 4 hours sharing past experiences, answering our questions, and even volunteering a bit of unsolicited advice; all of which has put me slightly at ease. Yes, I admit that I still remain a bit anxious about the impending culture shock, but I know that as long as I keep an open mind and a willingness to take part in new experiences (and yes, even make a few mistakes), this journey will be one I will cherish my entire lifetime.

Now, all I have to do is get past this 20-hour voyage…