My Journey Beyond the Barbell

By: Medi Woldemichael, Manning School of Business Well-being Leader
When I first stepped into the weight room, I saw it as a place to get stronger. Little did I know weightlifting would become a realm where strength isn’t just about the muscles, but about resilience and self-discovery.
Here are a few things I’ve gained from this journey:
Self-Confidence
With every lift, every accomplishment in the gym, I’ve found a newfound confidence that extends far beyond the weight room. The belief that I can push through the most challenging moments in lifting has translated into a belief in my capabilities in various aspects of life.
Mental Resilience
The ability to overcome the hurdles in weightlifting has taught me how to navigate and overcome obstacles in other areas. It’s not just about the physical challenge; it’s about training the mind to persist through difficulties and come out stronger.
Goal-Oriented Mindset
Setting and achieving personal bests in lifting has instilled in me a mindset of goal-setting and achievement in all areas of life. It’s not just about the numbers on the weights; it’s about continuous improvement and striving for personal excellence.
Discipline and Consistency
The routine of showing up at the gym, pushing through workouts, and striving for progress has cultivated a discipline that spills over into daily life. Consistency in the gym has translated into consistency in pursuing other personal and professional goals.
Discovering My Potential
Through my journey of lifting weights, I’ve unearthed strengths I didn’t know I had. It’s not just about muscles; it’s about discovering my own resilience, confidence, and capability. The weights became a medium for self-discovery, unveiling the layers of my own potential. Lifting weights has become more than just a physical exercise. It’s an intertwining of mind and muscle, a journey of self-discovery and personal growth. It’s an ongoing narrative, a fusion of strength, discipline, and the unveiling of the self.