A Weekend in Barcelona

Being apart of this study abroad program has already changed me so much as a person. I’ve learned new life skills, met amazing new people, and have explored places I never imagined I would. This experience has broadened my perspective, improved my adaptability and responsibility, and enhanced my cultural understanding. After spending a little over a week in San Sebastián, a few friends and I got the opportunity to travel to Barcelona, Spain for the long weekend.

Expectations vs Reality

Before going to Barcelona I was filled with nervous anticipation, especially after being warned numerous times by locals in San Sebastian to be cautious and hearing the words “good luck”. I never thought these warnings would happen to us while traveling. But unfortunately, we ended up experiencing some of these warnings, such as pickpocketing. However, instead of this event fully bringing down my spirit and ruining the entire weekend, I saw this as a valuable learning experience which revealed my inner resilience. This trip is my first time out of the country without my family which is already a huge milestone that comes along with great independence. I had to be extremely patient and realize the situation was out of my control. The new friends I made were so unconditionally helpful and did everything to support me along with some of the people we met while in Barcelona. Furthermore, I never thought something like this would happen. This stressful experience taught me to be more calm and composed during events like this. Fortunately, everything turned around in the end and I received my stolen property back.

Highlights of Barcelona

Despite some concerns about safety, Barcelona was extremely beautiful and full of culture. The city buzzed with activity, offering plenty to do day and night. The daytime was a perfect time to explore and dive deeper into the culture whereas night time brought a fun and vibrant nightlife scene. On our first day we explored Park Güell, which was unbelievably breathtaking. The park was massive and everywhere you looked there was new architectural structure or a scenic overlook of the city. We spent several hours here soaking in the views, strolling through hidden pathways, taking photos, and learning more about the city. Afterwards, my friends and I discovered a hidden rooftop restaurant for lunch. This peaceful place was a nice break after experiencing the stress from the night before, with delicious food and a gorgeous view of the city. In sight from this rooftop was the Cathedral of Barcelona. We were all in awe from this view and never wanted to leave. The vibes were amazing and I felt so at peace.

Park Güell
Park Güell
Rooftop lunch view

The next day we visited the famous Sagrada Familia church. The intricate details and design on this church were extremely impressive and awe-inspiring. Although we didn’t get the chance to enter the church, the outside of the structure blew us away. We walked over to a park across the street from the church where we took some great photos of the building. We enjoyed our time in this park, taking in our surroundings and marveling at how such an incredible structure was built. Later in the evening, we reserved a table at this amazing steakhouse called La Selva. The interior was unique and vibrant, with leaves hanging down from the ceiling and swings as seats. The service was beyond excellent and we got to cook our steak on a hot stone. This dinner was an amazing way to say farewell to the city.

Sagrada Familia

Barcelona Vs. San Sebastian

Although these two places are located in the same country, they are so vastly different from one another. San Sebastian is more chilled, smaller, and quieter whereas Barcelona is hectic, larger, and louder. Additionally, both of these cities have amazing culture inside and out. Furthermore, In San Sebastian I have felt undoubtedly safe. However, visiting another part of Spain and feeling unsafe was a shock to me. I initially thought people were exaggerating the warnings but after experiencing it firsthand, I now understand the importance of being extra cautious of my surroundings and to not fully trust people who are overly friendly. Personally, going to Barcelona helped me realize how much love I have grown for San Sebastian over these past two weeks. I have started to adapt to San Sebastian being my home for the month and I was so eager to get back here after leaving Barcelona. City lifestyles have never been my favorite but I am still so lucky and appreciative I got to experience this popular destination even though the trip had several hiccups. The thought of leaving San Sebastian is a thought I don’t want to think about. I have made lifelong friends here, became a better person, and fell in love with the country all in two weeks.