Pintxos Tour

(posted on behalf of Lindsay_Maloof@student.uml.edu)

When I found out that I would be spending three weeks in Spain, I was excited beyond belief. My mother brought to my attention of how I am such a picky eater in America, never mind in Spain. She was very worried that I not only wouldn’t love the food, I wouldn’t eat it at all.

When I saw the pintxos tasting tour on the schedule, I was a tad bit nervous. I have never heard of a pintxos bar before until I arrived in Spain. When I come home, I want to be able to tell everyone that I tried as much food as possible and took risks – something I do not ordinarily do. One of the pinxtos bars we went to was A Luego Negro, which was this really cool and funky place. The menu was quite eccentric as well. I decided to go out of my comfort zone and try crab ice cream. I did not think anything of it. I just thought, “Hey, ice cream.” I had no idea what to expect. When I heard my order was ready, I was really nervous; my face dropped. I could not believe that my ice cream actually came out in a crab shell. It looked awesome; however, the taste was not. It tasted like someone gave me a spoonful of salt water and fish. It was probably one of the worst things I have ever tried.

Another food I tried and did not like was the blood sausage. The texture threw me for a loop. The only reason I tried it was because the pintxo bar, Casa Vergara, is best known for three dishes: 1. Carrilera Agridulce (“Rato De Plata”) (2013 Compeaonato pintas de Guipuecoa”) 2. Hasanito (“2007 Label Vasco”) 3. Incomprendido (“2006 premio originalidad”). I cannot believe I was brave enough to try it.

I will say that I am very happy that I was bold and daring during the pintxos tours. I want to get in as much experience as possible. My favorite part of the pintxo tasting was seeing a dog named Whisky at Casa Vergara. I thought the dog made the place more fun and exciting. Everyone was going crazy over the dog: a friendly dog in Spain, we are trying pintxos – what can be better than that? Nothing.

I cannot get over how cheap the food is over here compared to America. Especially the drinks and pastries. I am so blessed and fortunate to be able to spend three weeks in this beautiful city. I love being able to experience this lifestyle and culture. I cannot wait to get back home and tell everyone what a great time I am having and how much of a great experience this is. Three weeks is not enough, I would love to come back.

IMAG1127

Julian addressing our tour group.

IMAG1121

A plate of pintxos from one of the bars on the tour.