Transformation: From Newcomer to Campus Leader

By: Medi Woldemichael, Manning School of Business Well-being Leader

When I arrived on campus as an international student, I felt utterly lost. Everything was new and confusing, from the campus layout to the academic system. I remember thinking, “How will I ever find my place here?”

As I prepare to graduate this May, I look back at that version of myself with a gentle smile, proud of the transformation I have undergone. From a state of bewilderment, I have evolved into one of the most involved students on campus, a journey that not only built my confidence, but also expanded my social network extensively.

At first, I kept to myself, overwhelmed by the new environment. But I realized that to make the most of my college years, I needed to get involved. So, I started small. I joined clubs like IBA and Finance Society that are related to my major, attended campus events, and gradually began to feel more at home.

Getting involved changed everything. I met people from diverse backgrounds, learned about different cultures, and started building a network that went beyond just making friends—it was about creating connections that would last a lifetime.

Before I knew it, I was not just participating; I was leading. I took on roles that challenged me, and pushed me to learn and grow:

• Student Government Association, Senator at Large: I represented a diverse student body, articulating their needs and concerns in decision-making forums.
  • Student Alumni Ambassador: I acted as a bridge between current students and alumni, organizing networking events and fostering connections.
  • Finance Society, Secretary: I managed administrative tasks and communication between club members, fostering a structured environment for learning more about my major: finance.
  • International Business Association, Chief Financial Officer: I oversaw budgeting and financial planning for the association, ensuring resources were appropriately allocated for events and activities. I also participated in several key conferences, which allowed me to engage with industry professionals and gain insights into global business trends. This experience was instrumental in broadening my understanding of my second major international business 
  • Orientation Leader: I guided new students during their transition to college life, providing support and information about campus resources. I also built my leadership and communication skills through this position.
  • Well-being Leader: I promoted health and well-being initiatives on campus, creating awareness and organizing wellness programs. Additionally, I wrote original blog posts each month on topics of well-being. This blog will be my last as I am graduating in May. I hope you have enjoyed these posts and found them helpful in improving your daily life and overall well-being.

With each new responsibility, my confidence surged. I was no longer just showing up to college; I was showing out.

Now, as I stand on the brink of graduation, I realize that college is indeed what you make of it. Your experiences, choices, and interactions shape your college life.

For those just starting their college journey or those feeling lost, here are a few tips:

• Get Involved: Join clubs or societies that align with your interests. It’s a fantastic way to meet like-minded individuals and find your tribe. Check out UMass Lowell’s Engage website to discover organizations on campus.
  • Be Curious: Attend workshops, seminars, and guest lectures. Education does not need to be confined to the classroom.
  • Volunteer: Give your time to causes you care about. It’s rewarding and a great way to build connections. View UMass Lowell’s list of Community Connections.
  • Speak Up: Don’t be afraid to ask questions, share your ideas, or seek help. Your voice matters.
  • Explore: College is the perfect time to try new things. Embrace the unknown with an open heart and mind.

Now, as I reflect on my college years, I see how each step I took to get involved helped shape me into a more confident and connected individual. I didn’t just attend college; I made it a memorable and transformative experience. For anyone feeling uncertain about how to navigate college life, remember that it’s all about taking those first small steps to engage with the world around you.