How Getting Involved on Campus Changed My Life

By: Angel Molekunnel, Manning School of Business Well-being Leader 

Getting involved on campus has been one of the most transformative experiences of my college journey. Initially, like many students, I had my reservations and fears about putting myself out there, but as I look back, I can’t emphasize enough how much it has enriched my life in various ways.

First and foremost, getting involved on campus has helped me build a sense of belonging and community. College can be a daunting place, especially if you’re far from home or attending a large institution. Joining clubs, and organizations, and participating in campus events provided me with a network of like-minded individuals who shared my interests and passions. These connections quickly turned into friendships that provided a support system during both the highs and lows of my college experience.

Before I joined UMass Lowell. I was nervous about joining clubs and organizations as well. I started off joining as a member. Eventually, I realized I enjoyed getting involved on campus as it helped me grow my networking circle, have fun, and stay busy. Eventually, I started applying and got accepted into the e-board roles that I truly enjoy.

I am passionate about everything I do on campus and I believe in my ability to do more. I want to inspire others and remind them to not hide their strengths and always seek out opportunities. Currently, I hold the positions of being the  Vice-President for the Student Government Association, Director of Personal Development for Joy Tong Women in Business, Resident Advisor (RA), Well-Being Leader, Student Alumni Ambassador, and Bumble Ambassador. I am very much passionate about these organizations as I get to influence those around me. Please reach out to or book a well-being leader appointment if you need help with how to get started. 

Below find some tips on how to start getting involved: 

It is common to have fears or anxieties about getting involved on campus, especially if you’re new to a college or university. Baby steps are crucial! Begin with low-pressure activities or events. Attend a casual club meeting, join a study group, or participate in a one-time campus event. Starting small can help you build confidence gradually.

We know ourselves better than anyone else. This is why you should explore your interests. Find clubs, organizations, or activities that align with your interests and passions. It’s easier to get involved in something you genuinely care about.

In conclusion, I can say with confidence that getting involved on campus has been instrumental in shaping my college experience. It has provided me with a sense of belonging, personal growth, academic enrichment, and countless memories that I will carry with me throughout my life. So, if you’re on the fence about getting involved on campus, I wholeheartedly encourage you to take that leap of faith. The rewards and opportunities that await you are boundless, and the journey is well worth it.

Connect with me Linkedln- https://www.linkedin.com/in/angel-molekunnel-9897241b3/

Use Engage to join clubs- https://umasslowellclubs.campuslabs.com/engage

My office hours to discuss tips to get involved on campus- are Monday and Wednesdays 11 am to 1 pm

Location: Cumnock 110/ Student Preference