By Doa Jamal, Francis College of Engineering Well-being Leader
The world is always throwing us curveballs. Change is inevitable in life. Being able to accept change and adapt accordingly is extremely important for our mental and emotional well-being. Adaptability is important in every aspect of both your personal and professional life.
The definition of adaptability, according to the APA Dictionary of Psychology, is 1. “the capacity to make appropriate responses to changed or changing situations”. or 2. “the ability to modify or adjust one’s behavior in meeting different circumstances or different people”.
Benefits of Adaptability
- Your value in the workplace will increase
- One major criteria for employment is the ability of an individual to adapt. Being adaptable makes you more marketable and responsible than other candidates.
- Adaptability is a skill every leader must have
- Most people have some sort of leadership role whether at work, in school, in other organizations they’re a part of, or within their family.
- Leaders are always confronted with (usually sudden) challenges that require them to be decisive in making changes. So being adaptable is necessary.
- Adaptable leaders earn the respect of others and motivate others to embrace change.
- Adaptability creates more happiness and overall life satisfaction
- Adaptability helps you be strong in a difficult situation. Once you assure yourself that you have all it takes to begin the change process within you, and you make that change, you will have higher self-esteem/self-efficacy and happiness for yourself.
- Being more adaptable can help with anxiety, because you will not worry as much about what the day holds for you. You know that whatever happens, you will make it through the day.
Do’s and Don’ts for Being Adaptable
- DO challenge your brain
- DO more than just follow
- DO reach out for help
- DON’T be afraid of growth
- DON’T be close-minded
- DON’T let your ego get in the way
- DON’T get stuck in your comfort zone
To wrap-up, here’s this helpful quote and reminder:
“Adaptability expands your capacity to handle change, no matter how serious it might be. Instead of throwing away your energy trying to change your circumstance, you will change yourself right from within, thus making you thrive in whatever situation you find yourself.”