By: Fajr Zahid, Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences Well-being Leader
The month of February is often seen as a month dedicated towards spreading love, whether it be towards a romantic partner, friends, or even oneself. Having a healthy relationship with yourself and your mind, as well as others, is an essential part of life and overall well-being. Below are 10 important tips that can help to improve self-love and self-care habits!
1. Try your best not to compare yourself to others – we are all unique in our own ways, and it is important to embrace our differences rather than conceal them.
2. Do not be afraid to be your true, authentic self regardless of how you may be perceived by others.
3. Look out for yourself and give your body the proper rest, nutrients, and care that it needs.
4. Surround yourself with uplifting, genuine people, and distance yourself from those who bring negativity into your life.
5. Never give others the power to make you doubt yourself or your worth – always reassure yourself of your importance and value.
6. Do not settle for less than what you deserve – this goes for all aspects of life whether it be a friendship, romantic relationship, or a future goal that you have.
7. Listen to your intuition! – this can often save you from harmful or toxic situations.
8. Make time for yourself throughout the day or week to engage in activities that bring you peace and happiness.
9. Reflect on your habits, attitudes and behaviors and actively work on the parts of yourself that you would like to improve on.
10. Stand up for yourself in situations where you are being mistreated or disrespected – but also remember to forgive yourself for the times when you were unable to do so.
I hope that you are able to implement all or even just a few of these 10 self-love and self-care tips into your life! If you’re ever struggling with showing yourself the love and care you deserve, or any other aspect of your life, come visit me during my office hours and I’ll do my best to help you 🙂