Talk to Each Other…

Sign in a restaurant that reads “We do not have …WIFI… Talk to each other… Pretend it’s 1995”

One of the major differences I’ve noticed about Spain compared to the United States is the emphasis on their meals.  The Spanish believe in the importance of sitting down, enjoying your meal, and socializing with others.  I saw multiple signs similar to this one throughout my stay in Spain.  I also heard of cafes that didn’t allow people to use their computers while they’re eating.  This was sort of a culture shock for me.  In the United States, you’re always on the go.  Everything is rushed, your sleep, your free time, and your meals.  In middle school, we were only given twenty-two minute lunch periods.  In Spain, many people sat and ate (and often drank) for about an hour at a time.  I prefer this attitude to the one in the United States.  Meals are important, and taking time in the day to socialize is as well.  This picture of a sign in a restaurant represents this aspect of Spain’s culture.  By not having wifi, people are less likely to be on their phones, and more inclined to talk to the person eating with them.