Adiós Por Ahora

As we come to the end of our journey here in Valencia, Spain I have mixed feelings. A part of me is excited to go home and see my husband and family, and another part of me is already missing the amazing people I have met. I am feeling sad, but I am also very fulfilled with my experience studying abroad in Valencia. The young boy in the photo is from Venezuela. Him, his mother, and two sisters came to Spain in hopes of better medical treatment for A. A has Cerebral Palsy, and since arriving to Spain in April, his condition has improved greatly. Although there is no cure for Cerebral Palsy, A has been able to get the nutrients that he needs in order to survive. Last week at the refugee center, A and his family were moving out to start their new life in their own apartment. It was so hard to say goodbye to A. His mother and I exchanged whats app numbers so we can keep in contact and I can check in on how A is doing. In such a short amount of time I have fallen in love with Valencia. I know that in the future I would like to return, so for me it is not a goodbye to Valencia, its a see you later! I am sad to say goodbye to all of the residents and staff at the refugee center, but I am ultimately thankful for their participation in my experience. I could not have asked for a better group of students to work with by my side, and faculty and peer mentors who all made this experience unforgettable. This study abroad trip will forever be a huge part of me. I have learned a lot about myself and the world I live in. This was a priceless experience that has taught me the importance of traveling and cultural awareness. Adiós por ahora Valencia, te amo.