Mad Adventures in Madrid (5/16)

Prior to departing for Madrid, my mind was brimming with thoughts and expectations for my stay. Having never been out of the country before, it was easy for my mind to be creative in the ways in which it processed the possibilities that lied ahead. After all, this was a trip that most of us had been anticipating for months. Nerves filled a pit in my stomach as I made my way through the airport and onto the plane. I encountered my first taste of Spain when two guys around my age came up to me and asked me a question in Spanish on the plane. I sort of froze not knowing entirely what to say and how to react. This was my first time experiencing a language barrier where I would did not know the common language in the country I would stay in, which was an awkward and new feeling. I was even able to get a new perspective of those in the US who do not speak any English and have a difficulty communicating with others, as I had not ever been put in such a position before. But the adventure continued around 7 hours later when we landed in Madrid.

After we finally left the hotel and entered the heart of Madrid, we ate our first meal at Hontanares. This was the first time we all tried speaking Spanish in a restaurant setting in Spain. It was a wonderful way to immerse myself in the culture for the first time. Our server was very patient and kind with us, as it was obvious we were tourists on a new adventure due to our butchered Spanish.

While waiting for the hotel, some of us explored the Gran Via. Here we stopped at many shops and also watched on with the city residents as a large speed walking race took place. The race was such high stakes and exciting, and on a scale comparable to the Boston Marathon. It was fun to be able to be a part of a city wide event that brought in large crowds of city residents and be able to enjoy the event together with the locals. Later, me and a few friends were able to grab a coffee and settle in at a table on the sidewalk and take in the city. This is where we were able to slow down and really take it all in, and discuss little things we noticed that were either very different or the same to aspects of home.

We later journeyed on into the heart of Madrid with a walking tour of Puerta Del Sol and Plaza Mayor, home to some of the city’s best food and little shops. Sobrino de Botin was a highlight especially. This restaurant is located directly outside Plaza Mayor and is the oldest restaurant in the world and has been open since 1725. It’s known for its roast suckling pig, which was noted by famous writer Hemingway. In Puerta Del Sol, the famous clock tower also stands tall in this plaza, which holds significance to New Year’s Eve where Spaniards eat 12 grapes when the clock strikes midnight. It’s amazing to see things I have read or researched about in class in front of me to experience. Study abroad so far has been unique and sets itself apart from other courses in this fashion. While I can learn in a class room, immersing yourself within the culture and city I was learning about during the semester makes a real difference.

API kindly invited us to a group dinner after our orientation, where we were able to try a variety of Spanish appetizers like Croquettes, a kind of deep fried dumpling with a thick coating and filling. We were served croquettes filled with cod, mushroom, and ham. We were able to all come together and reflect on the day we had in our first day in Madrid. We even got together later down in the hotel bar and all talked about ourselves and the trip that lay before us. It was great to be around familiar faces from school and even make new friends through this shared study abroad experience.

For me, it’s been a surreal experience adventuring outside of the United States for the first time. Being able to experience a culture other than my own or ones that I am familiar with is an eye opening experience and opens myself to new opportunities as I walk the old city streets.