“Designing Freedom”

Today was an extremely busy and jam packed day. We went to check out the Design Museum located in London. Right now they have California on display. California, Designing Freedom, places emphasis on technology, art and political movements, and design within the US (In California duh). It was really interesting to see because I was not aware of how many things had originated in the US. I was also really excited to see some works that I learned about in my aesthetic of graphic design course from the spring semester. I was most interested in seeing the issues of Wired that were on display, a magazine that we frequently talk about in my classes. It was surreal to see the first issue of the magazine in person.

When we moved on to the third floor of the Design museum we were immersed in the Designer Maker User exhibit. This exhibit had similar themes to the California exhibit, however it presented a more global perspective as it displayed technology, art and political movements, and design from multiple countries. In this exhibit I was most interested in the display on the London underground. It showed the process of it’s creation (sketches, etc) which I found really interesting. In design we frequently see the finished product without ever seeing the process, both of which are of equal importance. As a design student learning more about process is what helps us grow and succeed.

Lastly, we finished off our day with seeing Wicked. This was the first large-ish scale play that I have ever attended and I was very impressed. Specifically with the theater itself and the singing/acting of the performers. This was a really nice addition to our trip for us to all do as a group and I would definitely see this play again.