Conquering my fears

Ever since I was little I have had this innate fear of snakes, so much so that I cant even watch them on TV or even see them in a cage. When I see a snake I immediately start this hardwired panic and my adrenaline kicks into overdrive even though there is no real immediate danger. I know it sounds completely silly but its the truth. Well on day 5 of class I heard a classmate say someone was coming in to show us snakes. I chucked and thought nothing of it, I thought it was a joke until at 3pm a professional snake catcher and his assistant showed up.

The means to this madness was a little experiment challenging students to conquer our fears. Since this is a business course it makes plenty of sense, though I still wanted nothing to do with it. Most all of the students were embracing the experience, meanwhile I was at the farthest end of the room standing alone observing from afar.

After standing there and pondering what was before me, I decided to challenge myself to see if I could just possibly touch this snake. With a lot of encouragement, tears and hand holding I made my way through the crowd and touched the snake! Granted it was for a split second but I still did it and I was so proud of myself! Before that day the thought would have never crossed my mind. After a while of observing more students touching and holding the snake around their necks I decided to test the waters a little bit more.

Again after a lot of encouragement, tears and sweat I eventually was able to hold the snake around my neck by myself! Originally my goal was 5 seconds, then I pushed the limit to 10 seconds, but once the snake was actually around my neck I realized there was no reason for me to fear this animal. Granted the looks of him creeped me out alone but I knew it wasn’t going to hurt me. In the end I held the snake for over one minute!!!10922562_10152492840067680_4018914802649797703_n

Frankly, I never thought in a million years this day would come, but it did, I accepted it, challenged myself and did the unthinkable.