SEVP OPT Policy Guidance: Practical Training-Determining a Direct Relationship Between Employment and a Student’s Major Area of Study – Dated: September 27, 2019

On September 27, 2019, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program issued policy guidance, on the obligations of students and schools to document that there is a direct relationship between the student’s major field of study and the work the student does on Pre- or Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), and STEM OPT. Students are reminded to retain copies of job offer letters, payroll records, job descriptions and completed Form I-983 for STEM students. Post OPT Students registered with the SEVP Student Portal may continue to report their OPT information via the Portal. But they must also request a reprinted I-20 from ISSO, each time they report employer updates. The e-form will generate a new I-20 reflecting new employer information on page 2. When updating your SEVP portal information, always explain how the position is related to the field of study and commensurate to the degree level listed on your Post OPT I-20.

STEM students will report all employment updates through the submission of a Form I-983 to ISSO through the STEM Employment Reporting Tool. STEM students cannot report employment through the portal.

We encourage you to read through the Employment section of the ISSO site, https://www.uml.edu/ISSO/Employment/.