Day 1 – Bell Tower/ Duomo and Baptistery

Day two of Florence was the day that the group really started to get our bearings on the city. We started off our day by climbing up the bell tower, all 380+ steps. Those stairs were all worth it however, because the view from the top was absolutely breathtaking. We could see every rust orange colored roof for miles and miles. We had a beautiful view of the Duomo from the top of the Bell Tower as well and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. It didn’t seem like I was REALLY in Italy until the moment that I got to look out over the entire city.

Next we made our way to the Baptistery. Let me tell you, getting to be one of the first people to enter the Baptistery that day was quite the experience. It was incredibly quiet when we first walked in since it wasn’t too crowded and that made for the perfect setting to really appreciate the art and history that surrounded us. I remember walking in and just being in absolute awe of the ceiling above me. I didn’t even realize it was mosaic until I was told later and THAT is unbelievable to me. The imagery was so detailed and the shapes were entirely organic that a mosaic seems completely impossible! I still can’t believe it, honestly.

Florence has my heart and quite frankly, I don’t think I want it back.

# of dogs seen today: 36

Low key lookin’ like Jesus

Climbed all the way up this bad boy.

Baptistery ceiling

View of the Duomo from the top of the bell tower.