Breaking Away From Social Media

By: Faith Kollie, Kennedy College of Sciences Well-Being Leader

As I navigate across campus, I see that everyone is on their phones, whether they are listening to or watching something. Over the last few years, the use of social media has increased dramatically, taking time away from real-world tasks (like studying for an exam) and face-to-face interactions.

Below, I have listed some ways to help you reset and refresh your time on social media. I have given four questions you can consider asking yourself to help you reflect on each section.

1) Set your Priorities: 

Questions: Are there things I’m supposed to be doing that social media is distracting me from? When are these tasks due? What is the urgency of completing these tasks? What are the potential consequences of not completing them?

Solutions: Try to dedicate time to completing your tasks early so that you’re not overwhelmed when due dates roll in. If procrastination is a challenge for you, try breaking large tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks.

2) Participate in Enriching Activities: 

Questions: What activities make me feel relaxed, happy, and fulfilled? Have I tried something new recently? Are there any skills I should develop or improve on? Have I spent time outdoors recently?

Solutions: Replace your time on social media with activities that cleanse your mind, soul, and body. This could include exercising, engaging in spiritual practices, journaling, or exploring new hobbies.              

3) Socialize:

Questions: What are some ways I can communicate with others without using social media? How will people reach me if I’m off social media? How can I stay aware of new trends? How can I connect with friends or family in a meaningful way?

Solutions: Let your friends, family, or colleagues know that you’re taking a break from social media so they can find alternative ways to communicate with you. Try to meet up with these people in person to spend quality time together, which may even help strengthen your relationships. Make plans for activities or trips that you have been wanting to go on with the people in your life—and don’t just make plans, follow through with them!

Taking a break from social media isn’t just beneficial for your well-being—it also helps you to be more productive. It is important to take a cleanse from social media to refresh and recharge yourself. As one of your Well-being Leaders, I am here to help you disconnect and replenish your time from social media by helping you find alternative ways to manage your time. Schedule an appointment with me here!: https://calendly.com/faithkollie01/faith-s-wellbeing-meeting?month=2024-09