Exploring the Pantheon and Musee d’Orsay

As I got ready for my fifth day in Paris, I was excited and eager to see what wonders the day would bring. The first activity of the day was visiting the Pantheon. While walking over there, we saw the beautiful Saint-Étienne-du-Mont church. Paris is filled with stunning cathedrals, seeing them in person never fails to amaze me. When we finally reached the Pantheon, I was further blown away by the stunning architecture. Statues and paintings filled every corner of the building, along with grand archways and a decorated domed ceiling. In the center of the room stood a copy of Léon Foucault’s pendulum (an experiment proving that the earth is in constant rotation). The Pantheon also had speakers playing angelic opera music, contributing to the mystical atmosphere. After exploring the floor, we descended into the tomb where figures such as Victor Hugo, Josephine Baker, and Marie Curie were buried. Getting buried in the Pantheon is a great honor. Those selected to be buried there have made great contributions to France. However, being buried in the Pantheon is not always an immediate process. Selected individuals usually wait years after their death before they are transferred there.

Church of Saint-Étienne-du-Mont
Panthéon Interior

As we left the Pantheon, the group broke up for a quick lunch before heading off to the next location. We took a quick detour to see the Shakespeare and Company bookstore. George Whitman founded the place and named it after Sylvia Beach’s bookstore. Although I didn’t have time to stop inside that day, it’s definitely a place I plan on visiting again. Our next stop was the Musée d’Orsay. This museum was formerly a Paris railway station built in 1900. As railway advancements were made, the station no longer served its purpose. The French people struggled to find a use for it, but eventually turned the place into the museum we have today. Thanks to the building’s history, we can appreciate the museum’s art as well as the interior space that surrounds it. In fact, the building itself was made into a separate attraction. Our group went up several escalators to get a view of the entire station. It was breathtaking to see the skylight ceilings and the giant clock. There is also another clock in the building that provides a fantastic view of the city. The Musée d’Orsay is very different compared to the Louvre. The art that the Louvre displays is more ancient and traditional, while the Musée d’Orsay is more modern and showcases different styles such as impressionist/post-impressionist art. Our guide showed us around the museum and spoke about the context behind several great works of art. One painting that I found very impressive was titled Les Romains De La Decadence by Thomas Couture. The work is set during the Roman Empire and features many people engaged in debauchery. Couture adds a self-portrait of himself within the crowd. He is shown to be staring straight ahead as if he is having a realization. Couture draws parallels between the problems of the Roman Empire and the problems of his own time. Since he wasn’t able to speak freely about these issues in a direct way, he expressed them through his art. Many artists expressed their opinions in the same manner, which usually led to their works being controversial.

Musée d’Orsay
Les Romains de la décadence

Other paintings that were featured in the museum were from Vincent van Gogh and Claude Monet. Seeing famous artworks in person provided a unique viewing experience compared to seeing them online. For example, Monet’s work, Rouen Cathedral, looked completely different depending on the distance. When looking from afar, the painting looks 3-dimensional. However, when you stand closer to the painting it looks flat since the detail isn’t as clear. I have always wanted to view Monet’s works in person, so I was very happy to be given that chance on this day. Although they did not have Van Gogh’s Starry Night painting, I was able to see many of his other works, such as his famous self-portrait and his flowers. Overall, this day was packed with incredible sights and I learned so much more about art and history. I can’t wait to see what new adventures this trip will bring. 

Rouen Cathedral
Van Gogh self-portrait
Imperial Fritillaries in a Copper Vase