History Of Northern Ireland From Queens University

This Wednesday gave us amazing lectures, a beautiful movie, and great views that brought us closer to Northern Ireland and its culture.

Lectures

At the start of our day, we began with two lectures on the history of Ireland and Northern Ireland, ‘Politics & History of Northern Ireland: 103 Years On’ and ‘Contemporary Europe – at the Edge of the Union / Brexit’. Doctor McLoughlin and Professor Hayward were great speakers, helping illustrate the complexities of the history of the troubles as well as Northern Ireland and Ireland’s place within Europe over time. I found the history of the peace efforts very interesting, as between different leaders one group was always unhappy anytime civil rights or power-sharing efforts were attempted to be established. These lectures have helped establish a better understanding of Irish and UK history, which helped elevate my experience in Northern Ireland. 

Good Vibrations

The highlight of the day was watching the movie ‘Good Vibrations’ by Glenn Leyburn by Lisa Barros D’Sa in the student theater. The theater itself was beautiful and great for students with cheap food and drinks as well as discounted tickets for students, in contrast with the United States approach to student finances.

While unassuming from the outside, the lobby is a well decorated venue with seating and a bar. This was very interesting, as in the United States many movie theaters have the same concessions but incentivize you to move towards the theater itself instead of letting you enjoy some time before the movie, making it a more social experience. 

The movie followed the story of Terri Hooley, who was instrumental in the punk scene in Belfast during the troubles. I found the movie to be incredibly informative, as I didn’t understand how important punk was to Belfast. While focused heavily on the comedy of Terri’s life, it wasn’t afraid to shed light on the horrors of the world around them. However, they aren’t dramatized or idolized, they show the events in a way that illustrates the horrors of war, but also the reality that living in wartime often isn’t just a sudden event. It becomes a way of life, a new normal for those living there. For example, During the film Terri narrates where different members of the teenage band ‘The Outcasts’ ended up, showing two members who led successful lives, before cutting to the scene of a car bomb explosion, showing the remains of the other two band members, illustrating the horrific actions committed by both the IRA and the UVF. In contrast, the Harp bar is a central place to the story of Terri, where he met his wife, gave starts to many bands, and where he originally Dj’d. Every time someone entered the bar, they focus on the fact that the entrance is caged off with a gate, with the owner needing to verify their identity through a camera to let them in, which helps illustrate how people have to change their lives during the war.  

While I did love the cinematography and general plot of the movie, I had personal issues with Terri Hooley. I understood the message of not wanting to be owned and wanting to be a free spirit, but when you have a wife and child I feel you have a responsibility to provide for them. Regardless, he inspired and helped an entire generation struggling with growing up who were alienated by the adults around them, and that alone is a great act. 

General thoughts on my time in Belfast

In general, I found Belfast to be a very welcoming city and a pleasure to visit. The city itself is very walkable, and I’ve felt a lot more active while exploring Northern Ireland in contrast to driving everywhere in the States. The people are very friendly and are happy for you to be visiting the country and learning about their history. The weather is also very interesting, mostly tinges of gray and white with near-constant rain. However, this adds a great atmosphere to studying here and providing some of the best sleep I’ve had in recent times. Beyond the city, I found exploring the hills and varying parts of nature in Belfast to be especially enriching, Dilis and Black Mountain. 

While not as tall or steep as the mountains in New Hampshire, it gave a different experience as it is very scenic and an easy walk. I managed to get lucky and go when the weather for clear, providing great views while being able to see a bit of Scotland in the distance. All in all, my experience here has helped me better understand the troubles and history of the Island as well as the beauty of nature and culture.