Bienvenue à Paris!

(I want to apologize in advance for the inevitible grammatical errors I am about to make. I am typing on a French keyboard and it is not an easy task.)

I think it’s safe to say that today has been a long day for all of us. As if jetlag wasn’t bad enough, it is also scorching hot in Paris. A brutal introduction to France to be sure, but it can only get better from here. I am excited to see what the next three weeks have in store for us!

Today we got aquainted with the Cité Universitaire, particularly the Foundation des états-unis.

Paris 001

This building will be our home for the next (almost) month. I did get a good idea of what it would be like from the short promotional video posted on Blackboard, but there were a few things that surprised me. For instance, I was not expecting my room to be equiped with a sink. I’ve only ever seen sinks in bathrooms and kitchens. But if you think about it, it makes sense to have a place to brush your teeth and wash your face before you go to bed without having to make a trip to the bathroom. Also, this building does not have air conditioning. I learned today that the French simply don’t use them for the most part. An interesting tidbit, but definitely something I’ll have to get used to.

Let’s hope it cools down a bit over the next couple of weeks. Also, I hope we can all get some well-deserved sleep tonight.

Bonne nuit, tout le monde.

–Gaju