We can consider several reasons that we “do analysis” – some that have been listed include:
- Description (descriptive analysis)
- Exploration (exploratory analysis)
- Inference (as in inductive inference – inferential analysis)
- Prediction (a form of inferential – predictive analysis)
- Causation (a form of inferential – causal analysis)
- Mechanism (a form of inferential – mechanistic analysis)
But at the end of the day there is really one reason we “do analysis.” We analyze for knowledge. Analysis is a bridge between the empirical and the rationale. From the sensory observations to the mental models.